Up

"The pause is over". The OSCE noted the termination of the "school seacefire" in the Donbass 09/01/2017 18:46:04. Total views 565. Views today — 0.

Principal Deputy Chief Monitor of the OSCE Special Monitoring Mission to Ukraine Alexander Hug has said that that the ceasefire regime in the Donbass is not respected. He stated this at a briefing on Friday, OstroV’s correspondent reports.

"Last week, we saw new efforts aimed at restoring the ceasefire. As it has already happened, the parties once again renewed their obligations under the ceasefire regime. On Friday, the first day after the renewal of the ceasefire, the mission recorded 53% decrease of violations compared with the previous days: from 654 to slightly more than 300. The next day, on Saturday August 26, there was a further decrease in the number of violations, our observers on that day recorded 47 such violations", - he said.

According to him, there was a ceasefire for some time, but starting from Sunday, August 27, ceasefire violations have has resumed. "By Sunday, however, the number of ceasefire violations recorded by the SMM began to climb - 151 on Sunday. On Monday it was 173, Tuesday - 431, Wednesday - 186. The pause is over", - he said.

According to Hug, this pause indicates that the parties can stop the violence when they want it.

"The population of Donbass has seen a small ray of hope, but now things have returned to the normal course for the parties", - Deputy Chief Monitor of the OSCE SMM to Ukraine added.